Indiana Jones pinball machine is a 1993 widebody game designed by Mark Ritchie (the younger brother of acclaimed pinball designer Steve Ritchie) and released by Williams. It was based on the Indiana Jones movies. It was also part of WMS’ SuperPin series of widebody games (see also The Twilight Zone and Star Trek: The Next Generation).
This game was the first game to use Williams / Midway’s DCS Sound System. It features sound clips from the first three films, and actor John Rhys-Davies (reprising his role as Sallah) provided new speech for this game.
Widebody Playfield. Flippers (2), Ramps (2), Captive ball, Lane Change(s), Cellar Holes, Drop Targets (, Autoplunger, Three video modes.
Four multiball modes: 3-ball regular multiball, Quick multiball (2-ball), “Well of Souls” multiball (6-ball), “Eternal Life” wizard mode (6-ball).
Toys: Player-controlled tilting upper playfield, Rotating idol head which releases the balls into play
There are a total of 12 “modes” in Indiana Jones, each of them based on a scene from any of the three movies. Unlike The Twilight Zone, the modes aren’t stackable (i.e., you must finish one mode before going on to the next).
Raiders of the Lost Ark
- Get the Idol: You have to get the idol by shooting the lock sinkhole.
- Raven Bar / Get the Medallion (video mode): You have to kill 20 Nazis to collect the medallion, and get an extra ball; the mode ends if you get shot five times.
- Streets of Cairo: Shoot the ramps and orbits to search for Marion under boxes (she’s under the one the monkey is screeching on) – 10M each if Marion is not underneath. Finding Marion alters the display to show Indy being menaced by a sword wielding Arab type. Can be killed of two forms: shooting the Start Mode saucer (adds a 20 million points), or pressing the trigger on the plunger (adds a 2 million points).
- Well of Souls: This is a six-ball multiball where a shot to the lock hole is worth 2 million points, multiplied by the number of balls in play.
Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom
- Monkey Brains: Each loop and ramp shot is worth 8 million points.
- Steal the Stones: You have to get the stones by shooting the right ramp. A 20 million points is worth after of get the eight stones.
- Escape in the Mine Cart (video mode): Move the mine cart left and right through the tunnels, steering for the open tunnels and avoiding the closed ones. A 30 million point bonus is added at the end of the mode.
- Survive the Rope Bridge: Successive ramp shots will move him further along and score 10M each. Four ramps are required to get him across, and a fifth to cut the rope and get an extra ball.
Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade
- Castle Brunwald (misspelled as Grunewald): Shoot the drop target covering the captive ball, and then you keep hitting the captive ball to escape the castle.
- Tank Chase: Shoot the left and right loops to pursue the tank, and getting the last shot allows Indy to destroy the tank for a 30 million point bonus.
- Three Challenges: Shoot the right ramp for the Path to Adventure raised playfield. Challenges 1,2 & 3 are completed by hitting all lit rollovers for 10M, 20M & 30M respectively. All lit rollovers have to be hit during one pass of the Path to collect the points.
- Choose Wisely (video mode): Five grails will appear on the display, and after they are shuffled around, you have to choose the right grail. If you choose the right grail, the knight will say, “You have chosen wisely”, and are awarded 20 million points. If you choose the wrong grail, you will see an animation of the Nazi dying, the knight will say, “You have chosen… poorly”, and are awarded 5 million points.